M.S. Education & Special Education (MSV)
A Sensible and Financially Rewarding Option for Adults Seeking to Make a Difference in the Lives of Children
The College of Mount St. Vincent’s Master of Science in Early Childhood Education & Special Education degree is the first choice for anyone considering a career in the field of education/special education. This 46-credit degree culminates in a recommendation for NYS Teacher Certification, Birth-Grade 2. Students are eligible for Internship Certification, i.e., P3’s etc., after completing 50% of the program. It also has a built-in option to extend to Grades 1-6 and another option to extend to Generalist Grades 7-12.
Certified childhood special education teachers are in high demand in agencies, elementary schools, care facilities, and other organizations nationwide. The U.S. Department of Education regularly includes special education on its annual state-by-state Teacher Shortage Areas list.
Career opportunities include far more than classroom teaching. The list of career choices includes:
- Special Education Teacher: Inclusion, push-in/pull-out instruction, co-teaching, resource room, self-contained, community or alternative home setting
- P-3 provider
- Behavioral therapist
- Social skills therapist
- Curriculum development in Childhood Special Education
- Reading remediation/Kriyah Specialist
- Special Education assessment and program development (with license)
- Advocate for children with disabilities
- Consultant/Advisor: Children with disabilities
- Special Education Instructional Coach for general education teachers
- Special Education Co-Teacher with general education teachers
- Employment in public/private learning communities, health facilities, and organizations
- 15 courses, 4 courses per semester, 4 semesters to completion
- Classes conveniently offered on 1-3 weeknights in two-hour sessions between the hours of 7:00-10:15.
- Outstanding personalized student support for NYSED Licensing Exams such as EdTPA, CST, etc.
- Students are eligible to transfer up to two courses towards the degree
- Locations: The entire program is offered live-online.
- Men’s-only cohort
Per the Regulations of the Commissioner of the Education Department of the State of New York, Mount St. Vincent is not authorized to offer a complete program at an extension site.
Please speak to your academic advisor for more information about tuition and the special discount rate that Sara Schenirer students are eligible to receive.
Eligible students can receive financial aid.
The Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) can be completed online at https://www.fafsa.ed.gov. MSV’s FAFSA school code is 002703. Be sure to complete the correct year’s application. The TAP application is available approximately one week after the FAFSA is submitted, at https://www.hesc.ny.gov and should be completed by New York State residents only. MSV’s TAP school code is 0130
Student loans are available to cover the full cost of the degree.
According to the US Department of Labor, the median pay for special education professionals is $57,910 per year. Employment of special education teachers is projected to grow steadily from 2016 to 2024. Employment growth will be driven by continued demand for special education services.
A 2015 survey of Sara Schenirer graduates revealed that more than 93% were employed in the field of education/special education in their first year out of school. A significant percentage of graduates attained positions of leadership in the industry – a testament to their outstanding education and training.
Why It Works
- Excellent job outlook
- Flexible working hours
- Satisfying and meaningful occupation
- Job environment suitable for frum men